Access Development has long been a workplace on the move, in the most literal sense. It starts at the top with our founder and CEO Larry Maxfield, who is a regular at triathlons, bike rides and just about anything else that allows him to compete athletically. On any given day, you can find Access employees engaging in some kind of healthy activity, whether it's pilates classes at lunch, kickball after work or simply enjoying a piece of fruit for a mid-morning snack.
That’s why we were honored to be recognized as a Silver winner of the seventh annual Health at Work Awards, presented by ComPsych. The awards recognize companies that promote a healthy, involved, active workplace through health and wellness initiatives.
Among the reasons Access was cited:
- Organized the first-ever Access 5k, with over 150 employees and their friends and families running (see video here and below)
- Created a walk/jog/run across America campaign in which employees tracked their steps and figuratively walked or ran from California to Maine (what was supposed to take several months instead took a few weeks!)
- Held quarterly health and wellness workshops with useful topics such as healthy cooking and exercise
- Held an on-site health fair with free assessments
- Sponsored a team in the Tour de Cure, a bike race that raises funds for diabetes research
- Stocked the company vending machines with healthier options, such as granola bars and low calorie snacks
“Spiraling health care costs continue to be a challenge for most employers. This, coupled with the economic downturn and smaller workforces, makes it increasingly important that employers help their people be as healthy and productive as possible," said Dr. Richard A. Chaifetz, chairman and CEO of ComPsych. “We applaud Access for promoting health and wellness and improving the lives of employees.”
Health and wellness efforts at Access are guided by a group of volunteer employees. Access has been recognized in the past as one of Utah's top companies to work for.
We’re grateful for the recognition and look forward to staying healthy in 2012 and beyond!